Dear Juniors and Junior Parents,
We are excited to announce that the Williamsburg trip will be offered again this fall! Each year, McGill-Toolen Catholic High School offers juniors the opportunity to participate in the Colonial Williamsburg Experience which includes interaction with historical interpreters, character interpreters, and a variety of “hands-on” activities. This trip we hope to experience colonial military life, meet with the Founding Fathers in Virginia, and be able to join the trial of Blackbeard’s first mate! Students will also enjoy dining in a colonial tavern.
This year’s trip will be from Thursday, November 17 through Tuesday, November 22, 2022 and will include the following:
- Monticello - the home of Thomas Jefferson – Third President of the United States
- University of Virginia -- founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819
- Jamestown Settlement - Native American village, replicas of the first English ships, the fort, the museum
- Jamestown Island and the Glass House of 1608
- Yorktown National Battlefield and Historic Yorktown
- Colonial Williamsburg - the restored/reconstructed city which served as the capital of Colonial Virginia from 1699-1780
- College of William & Mary -- America’s second oldest college -- founded in 1693
The cost of this year’s trip will be $600.00 per student which includes the bus fare, hotel rooms, breakfast each day, one tavern dinner, admission to the historical sites, and four evening programs. Students will have to pay for their other meals and any souvenirs they purchase. We will take one bus and a maximum of 44 students. Since the above fee is predicated on a minimum number of students, the fee (once paid) is generally non-refundable except under special circumstances as approved by the school. If a student is not approved for the trip, or if we do not get enough students to make the trip, the fee will be refunded. In order to be eligible for the trip, a student must be a junior at McGill-Toolen Catholic High School and:
- ave a school determined acceptable academic, attendance, and discipline record. Please see School Trips in the Student Handbook. Students will be selected for the trip based upon the above criteria, the order in which the applications/payments are received, and hotel room availability.
Applications will be available in room 8213 beginning Monday, August 22, 2022 and may be returned to Mrs. Woodard, along with the $600.00 fee (checks made payable to McGill-Toolen), beginning Tuesday, August 23, 2022. All applications and checks are due to Mrs. Woodard no later than Friday, September 2, 2022. If this deadline and/or financial commitment pose a problem for you, please contact Mrs. Woodard.
All applicants will be notified when the list has been posted. Checks will not be deposited to the school account prior to MONDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2022! Again, if there are concerns, please reach out.
This will be our 47th trip to Colonial Williamsburg. We believe it will be one of your most memorable, enjoyable, and educational experiences at McGill-Toolen. Come join us for a fun-filled adventure in 18th century America! Students will only miss two full class days, November 17 and 18, and will be arriving home the evening of Tuesday, November 22, 2022 in time to celebrate Thanksgiving. If you have any questions, please contact me by e-mail.
Mrs. Abby H. Woodard
Williamsburg Trip Coordinator
***If the student is selected for the trip, there is a mandatory meeting for both student and parent/guardian at the beginning October. Exact date and time TBD.